Welcome to Lakeland STAR School/Academy
STRONG. TALENTED. ADVENTUROUS. REMARKABLE.
Lakeland STAR School/Academy is a charter school for autism in Wisconsin that caters to all diverse learners, not just students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Located in Minocqua, Wisconsin, and nestled in the heart of northern Wisconsin’s pristine forests and lakes, Lakeland STAR is more than an autism school — it is an educational experience geared towards maximizing the potential in every student, regardless of their abilities or whether they are autistic or just learn differently.
STAR does this by providing:
- A sensory-friendly design to help reduce sensory-related barriers to learning and create a positive educational environment
- A focus on identifying and fostering students’ unique strengths and interests
- A multi-faceted transitions-based curriculum customized to the student’s needs
- A highly trained staff devoted to creating the best possible educational and transitional experience
- The immersion of speech and language and occupational therapy throughout the student’s day in addition to scheduled sessions
- Innovative and adaptable teaching methods
- Alternative therapies such as equine therapy
- Innovative technology to accent student-led individualized curriculum
- An environment that promotes acceptance and honors individuality
Lakeland STAR’s vision is to have students of all developmental levels thrive not only in the school environment but also in the community, and graduate with the academic and life skills necessary to become their personal best.
In addition, students graduating from STAR will have gained the confidence and determination required to move on to post-secondary education and/or gainful employment, live independently to the best of their ability, and enjoy meaningful connections with others if they so desire.
Lakeland STAR School serves Grades 6-8, Lakeland STAR Academy serves Grades 9-12 and Rising STAR Transition Center serves our 18-21 year old students.